Visit your AAA branch for DMV renewal services
Save time by taking care of vehicle registration renewal at select AAA branches instead of going to the DMV.1 You don't need to make an appointment, and Saturday hours are available.

Select AAA branches offer vehicle registration renewal for:

  • cars


  • motorcycles


  • rvs


  • trailers


AAA branches also offer these DMV services

  • New and used boat transfers
  • Release of liability
  • Replacement license plates
  • Disabled person parking placards
  • Disabled person license plates3
  • Personalized license plates4

Other helpful online resources:

License plate renewal

AAA members in Williamson County can now renew their vehicle license plates at the AAA Round Rock branch. There’s no additional fee for this service – just the cost of the renewal, which is payable by cash or debit card. Remember to bring your registration renewal notice and the original set of plates from your vehicle.

Branches that offer vehicle registration renewal

See acceptable forms of payment and required documents.

Hours: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday–Friday, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday

Austin area

    • Austin–North
    • Austin–South
    • Round Rock
      (Offers license plate renewal as well)

Dallas area

    • Dallas Central
    • Dallas North
    • Irving
    • Flower Mound
    • Frisco
    • Lewisville
    • Denton
    • Garland
    • Plano
    • Allen

Houston area

    • Ft. Bend
    • Houston Champions
    • Houston Copperfield
    • Houston Galleria
    • Houston Katy
    • Houston Memorial
    • Houston Cypress
    • The Woodlands

These services must be done at the DMV:

  • New driver’s licenses
  • Driver’s license renewals
  • New vehicle registration
  • Dealer transfers
  • Salvage certificate
  • Original (brand new) and out-of-state off-road vehicle transfers
  • All other DMV services not available at a AAA branch

You can make a DMV appointment by calling 1-800-777-0133 during business hours or by using the DMV’s online appointment system.


What you need to know about REAL ID

The REAL ID Act of 2005 established new standards for what must be included in state-issued driver’s licenses and identification cards. California now issues compliant driver licenses, and starting October 1, 2020, you’ll need one in order to board domestic flights or enter military bases and most federal facilities. A REAL ID is not required to continue driving your automobile.

You can get your REAL ID at a California DMV field office. The DMV accepts appointments by calling 1-800-777-0133 during business hours  or by using the DMV’s online appointment system.

Need a smog check?

If your DMV renewal notice indicates you need a smog check, we can help. Our Costa Mesa and Los Angeles AAA branch locations perform California Bureau of Automotive Repair certified Test-Only smog checks.

  • Costa Mesa
  • 3350 Harbor Blvd.
  • Monday through Friday
  • 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
  • Los Angeles
  • 2601 S. Figueroa Street
  • Monday through Friday
  • 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Contact our Member Services Center at 1-877-428-2277 for pricing and types of vehicles we can smog check.

Our AAA Approved Auto Repair network also has many facilities throughout Southern California that can assist you with smog and repair services.


AAA cannot assist with driver’s license or ID services, including but not limited to driver’s license renewals, replacements, Real IDs and/or DMV printouts. These transactions must be handled at the DMV.

AAA can handle almost all vehicle registration renewals for members, possibly even those that are late by days, months, or even a few years. Bring your renewal notice or an old copy of the registration to a AAA branch, and you’ll receive your new registration and tags once the process is complete. 

AAA can help members start the registration for a vehicle that needs a smog check. However, if you’ve paid your registration with the DMV and just completed a smog check, 30 days must pass before AAA can provide a new copy of your registration and new tags.

If you need to drive a vehicle that has an expired (or nearly expired) registration, you may be eligible for a Temporary Operating Permit.

AAA can assist if both you and the vehicle’s registered owner are AAA members, and you supply a DMV renewal notice or substitute document such as a registration card.  
In almost all cases, AAA can help members replace the registration or title for a vehicle they own. AAA can help members submit the paperwork to request a duplicate title, but the duplicate title will be mailed directly from the DMV, and typically takes four to six weeks to be mailed to the registered address.
To look up the current fees for your vehicle, you’ll need your license plate number and the last five digits of your VIN.
AAA can help members transfer a used vehicle or boat title between two private parties, change the title for an inherited vehicle, or add or remove a name from the title in almost all scenarios. Please note that while AAA can handle title transfers for salvage vehicles, we cannot change a title from regular to salvage. 
AAA can assist members with the re-registration of most vehicles from out of state into California.  
AAA can assist members in almost all cases.  Please bring all necessary documents to the AAA branch. The applicant or caretaker assisting with the transaction must be a AAA member.
Members can order, transfer, and check the status of custom, legacy, and custom legacy plates at a AAA branch.
Members can go to a AAA branch for help filing an Affidavit of Non-Use/PNO or removing the PNO for filing with the DMV.
AAA is only able to accept cash or personal check for DMV services; debit and credit cards cannot be accepted.

1Renew your vehicle registration at select AAA Texas branches and save $1 off the Texas DMV processing and handling fee.  AAA members pay $3.75 for the processing and handling fee, non-members pay $4.75. If you are a new resident, you must register at the County Tax Office in person. Registration renewal services are provided at select AAA Texas branches under authorization from local county officials. You must visit a branch in the same county in which your car is registered.