Auto Club history

Serving members for more than 100 years

HUNTINGTON CUP EXPO PK LA 1903 lo
The history of the Auto Club

The Automobile Club of Southern California was founded in 1900 by 10 Los Angeles-area businessmen and professionals. Over the years, the Auto Club has expanded to offer membership, insurance, travel, discounts, financial, and of course automotive services to more than 7 million members. Learn about some of the Auto Club’s highlighted achievements over the decades.

 
MRM SURVY TRK
1900 to 1909
  • 1900 - The Auto Club was founded.
  • 1906 - Auto Club started posting directional signs on California roads.
  • 1908 - Auto Club began issuing license plates as an agent of the State of California.
  • 1909 - Auto Club issued its first maps and Touring Topics, the member magazine.
 
acsc our history national old trails road
1910 to 1919
  • 1912 - Affiliate Inter-Insurance Exchange began to offer insurance to Auto Club members.
  • 1913 - The first Auto Club branch office opened in San Diego.
  • 1914 to 1915 - Auto Club mounted signs to mark the National Old Trails Road, later known as Route 66.
  • 1916 - The Forwarding Department was established to ship members' cars and later expanded to travel services.
 
20s PUBLIC SAFETY
1920 to 1929
  • 1921 - Public Safety Department formed to educate students on traffic safety.
  • 1923 - Auto Club Headquarters building opened at Adams Boulevard and Figueroa Street in Los Angeles.
  • 1924 - Emergency Road Service started as Highway Patrol Service and later expanded to include towing.
  • 1928 – The member magazine magazine began commissioning original art for the cover.
 
30s FIRST WESTWAYS COVER
1930 to 1939
  • 1934 - Touring Topics was renamed Westways to signify its broader cultural mission.
  • 1937 - Auto Club engineer Ernest East proposed a network of freeways for Los Angeles.
  • 1938 - Auto Club provided registrations for more than 170,000 member vehicles.
 
40s WARTIME RECYCLING 1
1940 to 1949
  • 1941 to 1945 - During World War ll, the Auto Club provided special maps to the military, sponsored scrap drives, promoted war bonds, and guaranteed the jobs of its employees who were called to military service.
  • 1946 - Westways resumed its cover-art program, showcasing the vibrant California watercolor movement.
 
50s WORLD TRAVEL2
1950 to 1959
  • 1956 to 1959 - Auto Club opened 18 new branch offices to accommodate the boom in population and membership.
  • 1957 - Foreign and Domestic Travel Department formed.
 
60s AIR QUALITY
1960 to 1969
  • 1963 - Auto Club conducted emissions tests on 1,000 cars in cooperation with the California Motor Vehicle Pollution Control Board.
  • 1967 - Automotive Research Center opened to study vehicle emissions and performance.
  • 1968 - With rapid construction of new locations, Auto Club reached 78 branch offices.
 
70s APPROVED AUTO REPAIR
1970 to 1979
  • 1970 - Auto Club began rating car-repair facilities, a service that became the Approved Auto Repair program.
  • 1972 - Frances Ring became editor of Westways and increased its literary output. 
  • 1974 - Auto Club co-founded Commuter Computer to aid Los Angeles-area ridesharing and reduce traffic congestion.
 
80s NEW PC BLDG
1980 to 1989
  • 1982 - Processing Center opened in Costa Mesa to house insurance operations and systems.
  • 1983 - Auto Club began offering homeowners insurance to its members.
  • 1984 - Auto Club began repair skills contest to encourage high school students to consider careers as auto technicians.

1990-1999

  • 1995 - AAA Plus® was created to provide enhanced member benefits. 
  • 1996 - Auto Club began offering services online.
  • 1997 - The Processing Center doubled in size to become the Administrative Offices. 
  • 1999 - Club became a title sponsor of National Hot Rod Association Finals.
2K FUNNY CAR
2000 to 2009
  • 2000 - Auto Club celebrated its centennial.
  • 2001 - Auto Club began offering Licensed-to-Learn driver education classes.
  • 2003 - AAA Premier®, the highest level of member benefits, was created.
  • 2008 - California Speedway was renamed Auto Club Speedway in recognition of Auto Club sponsorship.

2010 to present
 

  • 2011 - The Auto Club launched an alternative-fuel research program, including the lease of electric vehicles for daily operations.
  • 2012 - Electric-vehicle charging stations were added at Auto Club locations in Los Angeles and Orange counties.
  • 2016 - Auto Club Enterprises websites reached a record of more than 30 million annual visits.
Zip code banner

Welcome to the

American Automobile Association

Please enter your home ZIP Code so we can direct you to the correct AAA club’s website.

GO
back to top icon